Summer is the time when women worry most about waxing their legs and removing the hairs from there. Having hairs on the legs and keeping up with it is one of the hardest parts of being a woman. During the winter months you can go without removing hairs from your leg, as nobody is going to see it. When the spring comes, then they get harder to work with. If you want to get rid of leg hairs effectively and without spending much money, here you can find simple homemade sugar wax recipes that can help you get smooth and silky legs.
DIY Sugar Wax Recipe for Hair Removal:
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Try to get fresh juice if possible.
- 1cup of raw sugar, such as turbinado
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Non-GMO cornstarch
- A cooking pot of medium size
- Stainless steel bowl
- Several strips of cloth (take strips of 6 inch wide and 12 inch long)
- Take the pan and add lemon juice, sugar and water into it. Now put the pan on the stove. Heat slowly till it starts to boil slowly. Once it starts boiling, reduce the flame and simmer until it is smooth and golden in colour. This is about 260 degree Fahrenheit. But you need not worry much about the temperature. Take of the pan from the heat and transfer its contents into a stainless steel bowl. You should use steel bowl, as glass may crack at this high temperature and aluminium bowl may react with the lemon juice present in it. Cool it a little. It will turn a little darker in colour as you cool it.
- As the wax is cooling, you should wash your legs well to exfoliate the skin. You can use any of the natural exfoliants to clean your legs well. Once you have exfoliated your legs, dry your legs and apply a thin layer of powder over the area you are going to wax. You can use cornstarch powder or arrowroot powder, which is natural.
- It is better to use natural exfoliants rather than store-bought exfoliants to exfoliate your skin and remove dead skin cells. Sugar, oatmeal, baking soda, coffee, almonds etc are good exfoliants.
- Take some sugar mixture; say about the size of a ping pong ball. Kneed it well, so that t becomes smooth. Now you have to spread it on your legs. You have to move it in the direction of the hair growth. Remember to always go with the hair growth and never against it.
- After spreading it on your leg, you can take a cloth strip and press it on the wax you have applied. You can use a bunch of flannel cloth strips for this purpose, as these will stick well and are also easy to clean. After pressing the cloth strip, wait for the wax to cool to the temperature of your body. Once the wax is cooled, grip the bottom edge of the strip and pull it very quickly against the direction of growth of hair on your legs. Rip it off fast like a bandage. When you do waxing on your legs, you may not be able to get rid of all the hairs on the first time itself. So, you can wait for a few days and then wax it again. This way you will not irritate your skin much.
- Once you have completed waxing, rinse off any leftover sugar mixture that may be on your legs., you can try applying oils like jojoba oil or grape seed oil to reduce the redness that may be seen after waxing. The skin you have waxed may be sore the first time, but as you do it often, it will get better and better.
A word of caution for other body parts:
Do not try to apply this wax on your underarms or the bikini area, as the skin on these parts is very sensitive. You should also not apply it on your upper lip area or the eyebrows. You have to use different wax on these areas.
Another DIY Sugar Wax Recipe:
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- Take a saucepan and add the sugar and honey in to it. Now heat the mixture as you stir well with a wooden spoon, till the sugar melts. If you think that he mixture is going to be too thick, you can add a little of water to it. Let it cool for a while and you can use it right away or keep it in the fridge and to use later.
- Sugar wax is more effective and beneficial than other types of wax because the sugar sticks only to the hairs and not your skin. So, using this wax is not as painful as using the store-bought wax.
- When you use homemade wax to remove hair, you can use muslin cloth to strip it off. But if your hair is very coarse, then it is better to use denim cloth strips. The thick texture of this cloth does not make your skin jump as much as the cotton clothes. So, it is less painful.
- So, you can see that homemade wax recipe is gentle on your skin and does not cause any harm to your skin like the store-bought wax, which may contain chemicals in them. It is also considered to be better than shaving or applying hair removal creams.